Some molds are more hazardous than others, and different people have different responses to mold exposure. If you are unsure about the quality of the air in your house or are concerned about musty odours or dampness you can book an Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) test with an AmeriSpec professional.
Carbon monoxide poisoning presents in humans as “flu-like” and can be fatal when inhaled in large amounts. If you have any indications of CO in your home, have concerns or just want the peace of mind, you should have your home tested.
The reason that radon is of concern is that it is a cancer-causing natural gas that you can’t see, smell or taste. Radon concentrations tend to be greater on the lower levels of a home. Since radon exists in every home at different levels, the only way to determine if you and your family are at risk is to have your home tested by a qualified professional.
Small particles cause detrimental health risks as they can easily travel deep into the lungs. Health risks include respiratory symptoms such as wheezing and coughing. To determine if your home has a dangerous amount of air particles that could harm your family, have your air quality tested by an AmeriSpec professional.
VOCs (volatile organic compounds) are a large class of organic, carbon-based chemicals that are present in almost all buildings. To determine if your home has a dangerous amount of airborne chemicals or VOCs that could harm your family, have your air quality tested by an AmeriSpec professional.
Higher than normal levels of humidity in certain areas of your home contribute to higher levels of bed bugs and biological contaminants (e.g. mold, dust, etc.). Condensation suggests that there is excessive moisture, poor air circulation or a problem with your windows. Having a well-ventilated home can prevent high levels of humidity, reducing your chance of physical damage. Having your home’s air quality evaluated will aid in determining the issue to help you decide if you need to take corrective action.
Once inhaled, asbestos particles stay in the lungs for long periods of time and can eventually cause asbestosis, lung cancer, and a rare form of cancer (mesothelioma) that affects the linings of the abdominal cavity or chest. Testing for the presence of asbestos is outside the scope of a basic home inspection, but can be completed as part of a Healthy Homes Indoor Air Quality service.