Healthy Homes by AmeriSpec provides professional residential carbon monoxide detection and testing services. If you suspect carbon monoxide fumes are present in your home, we are here to help.
What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a chemical found in fumes produced any time you burn fuel, i.e. in cars, gas ranges, gas or wood-burning fireplaces, barbecue grills, gas water heaters, furnaces, etc.
CO can build-up indoors and become poisonous to humans and pets. Because you can’t see, taste or smell it, it can affect you or your family before you even know it’s there. Even at low levels of exposure, carbon monoxide can cause serious health problems.
Prevention is key. If you suspect your home may have non-acceptable levels of carbon monoxide fumes, book an air quality test and assessment with an AmeriSpec qualified professional technician as soon as possible.
How does the presence of Carbon Monoxide in your home affect you?
Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning presents as “flu-like” symptoms in humans and can be fatal when inhaled in large amounts. It has been documented as more dangerous in young children. CO is harmful because it will rapidly accumulate in the blood, depleting the ability of blood to carry oxygen.
Carbon monoxide is colourless and odourless, so leaks can go unnoticed, causing short-term illnesses such as headaches or nausea. However, if one is exposed to fumes for longer periods, brain damage or even death can occur.
If you suspect or have any indications of carbon monoxide fumes in your home, have concerns or just want peace of mind, you are advised to get professional testing and assessment for carbon monoxide as soon as possible.
Symptoms of CO poisoning
Be sure that all members of your family know the symptoms of CO poisoning:
- Mild exposure
Flu-like symptoms such as headache, running nose, sore eyes, etc.
- Medium exposure
Drowsiness, dizziness, vomiting. Disorientation and confusion may make it difficult for some victims to make rational decisions like leaving the home or calling for assistance.
- Extreme exposure
Unconsciousness, brain damage, death.
- Continued low-level exposure to CO
While this may be not lead to observable symptoms, you should still avoid such exposure.
How can Carbon Monoxide detection and testing services help?
Having a professional residential air quality testing and assessment completed in key areas of your home will determine whether carbon monoxide fumes are present. Once you know the answer, you can then take the necessary next steps to address and eradicate the problem, and prevent it from reoccurring.
Carbon Monoxide testing & assessment is advised if:
- You suspect there may be carbon monoxide fumes in any area of your home or attached garage
- You have health concerns and symptoms that are consistent with the presence of carbon monoxide fumes in your home
- You are concerned about the “air tightness” of your home, especially between the house and attached garage areas
- You are considering or have just completed renovations in your home
What to expect from an Indoor Air Quality test in your home
Here’s what you can expect when you book an Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) test with Healthy Homes by AmeriSpec:
- A comprehensive walk through and assessment by a qualified Healthy Homes by AmeriSpec technician, including a complete visual inspection of the home and key area(s) of concern
- Air quality testing to determine if there are levels of carbon monoxide in the air in your home, including independent lab analysis.
- AmeriSpec tests for carbon monoxide levels in all areas of your home, using a proprietary device that incorporates sophisticated sensor technology. It is designed to facilitate natural airflow, thus providing consistent readings, and each sensor is calibrated twice to ensure accuracy. One or more tests may be conducted inside the home and attached garage areas.
- After all testing and assessment procedures are completed, you will be provided with detailed and easy-to-understand evaluation reports
What should you do to prevent carbon monoxide from entering your home?
- Install CO detectors (preferably battery operated, in case of power outages) in your home. It is important to not only have CO detectors, but have them located on every level of your home, especially near bedrooms.
- It is important to know if your detectors are past their lifespan. Many CO detectors are only guaranteed to work for a certain amount of years. Check your owners manual and replace when necessary.
- It is important to have all gas and oil burning appliances checked by a qualified technician every year.
- Never start a vehicle in a closed garage; open the garage doors first. Pull the car out immediately onto the driveway, then close the garage door to prevent exhaust fumes from being drawn into the house.
- Do not use a remote automobile starter when the car is in the garage; even if the garage doors are open.
- Never operate propane, natural gas or charcoal barbecue grills indoors or in an attached garage.
- Never run a lawnmower, snowblower, or any gasoline-powered tool inside a garage or house.
The first step towards having a healthy home is to have your indoor air quality professionally tested.
If you are concerned about carbon monoxide fumes in your home…don’t wait. Your life may depend on it.